Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Minus One

I am minus one child this week. Our daycare provider, "Ms. Linda," is on vacation this week, so Ella went on vacation to Grandma and Grandpa's house. Joe's parents live in Stevens Point, which is about 2 hours away. They have big plans! Swimming, going to the library, making cookies, just to name a few. I miss my baby, but it's giving me some one-on-one time with the Nate-man, and it's giving Joe and I an opportunity to get some projects done around the house.


We are tackling ceramic tiling in the upstairs bathroom. The old linoleum was beginning to curl up at the edges near the tub, so it was time for a new floor. What we didn't realize was that it takes a lot more time and money than we originally expected. We have all of the supplies and the toilet is now sitting in the tub, so we're half-way there! Well, maybe a quarter of the way there. Okay, we're not even close to being done. I also purchased paint for the master bathroom. The color is "Melted Chocolate." Yum! I finally weeded around our mailbox and added some rocks around the perimeter. Other tasks on my list to accomplish this week:

1. organize hall closet
2. organize office
3. clean
4. make sweet potato puree for Nathan
5. touch up paint on kitchen cabinets
6. take Nate for his 9 month pictures (can you believe it???)

I'm taking bets as to whether or not I will actually finish all of these tasks.

Poor Nate is cutting even more teeth. He now has 4 on the top and 3 on the bottom. He was an angry man yesterday. Nothing a little Tylenol couldn't fix. He isn't yet bringing his knees underneath him while on his tummy, so I think crawling is a ways off. Like I've said before, that's fine with me! Nathan has discovered his voice, and man, does he use it! Maybe it's because he has to yell over Ella to be heard. It even sounds like he says, "Ella." Ella says, "He said my name, see?" That's her new thing, adding "see?" to the end of sentences. "I'll just stand on this chair and get the Skittles off the top of the fridge, see?" But getting back to Nathan and his yelling...he's so loud that he makes other children cry. Let me explain...

We met Joe's parents in Appleton, which is roughly half-way between New Berlin and Stevens Point, to "exchange" Ella. Our friends Paul and April, and their son, (our Godson), Jackson, live in Appleton. We took the opportunity to visit with them for the afternoon and give our boys a chance to play together. Nate played by himself while Jax slept, but when Jax woke up, Nate was ready to go. Too ready! He was so excited, he started yelling loudly and reaching for Jax. Jax did not think this was cool and began to wail. And I mean wail! Windup and everything. I felt so bad! Every time Nathan would make a loud noise, Jackson would start crying. I hope they can get over this incident and remain friends. I mean, it would suck if Nathan continued to yell at Jackson when they are 12 years old, and Jackson would continue to cry.


Backing up a few days...did I mention that I went to my first OT session? It was the initial evaluation, so she took measurements, tested my strength, and applied some kineseotape. I have another appointment this week where she will most likely do some ultrasound treatment on my wrist. At least, that's what I would do, if I were an OT.

This past Friday was Christmas in June! We started a tradition last year with Joe's sisters and their husbands. Instead of getting gifts for each other, we all go out to dinner and then do something else. Last year we went bowling and listened to some live music. This year we went to a Brewers baseball game and tailgated beforehand. It was a beautiful day and it was nice to catch up. We decided to wait until the summer since Julia was very pregnant around Christmas this past year. We tossed around the idea of going to Green Bay for our next Christmas gathering.



On Saturday, Joe and I packed up the kiddos and went to Lake Michigan for a picnic. It was another beautiful day and Ella thoroughly enjoyed her Superman ice cream. She had it dripping down her legs. I even wiped some off her feet! That evening,we invited our nephews, Dylan and Henry, to spend the night. Ella had a blast playing with her cousins. They went swimming, played on the swings, and made up a great game of running back and forth on the porch and then launching themselves onto the air-mattress. All three of them slept sideways on the air-mattress and actually went to sleep without much trouble. Needless to say, Joe and I were exhausted!



On a sadder note, one of my co-workers passed away last week. She had been battling cancer for quite some time. I attended her funeral last night. It was, of course, very sad, but it was also more of a celebration. Her name was Bernadette, but she always went by "Bunny." So, at the end of the service, as the pallbearers were walking out, music suddenly came on that the family had set up..."The Bunny Hop." So fitting! Her husband declared yesterday, "Friend Day." So to all of my friends and family, if I don't say it enough, I'll say it here: "I love you!"


I am entering a contest where I could win $100 and other fun stuff. All I have to do is tell you about this:

There’s a great new “linky” service available and I wanted to let you know about it. It’s called MckLinky – www.mcklinky.com. After realizing the need for a new, reliable linky capability, Brent Riggs and MckMama got together to create a free, easy to use linky service for all their blog friends.
MckLinky is a free link list feature that allows you to do include lists of other blog links like MckMama does on Not Me! Monday. You can use MckLinky any time you want your blog readers to leave a list of links on your blog. It’s simple, reliable, free...and loads of MckFun!

If it doesn't make sense to you, no worries. Disregard it. Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

Sunny said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your coworker. :( It sounds like it was a lovely celebration of her life, though.

And good luck on the giveaway!!

April said...

Too Funny! I think was over it. We watched the video from our camcorder that replayed the "introduction" of the boys and Jackson just watched the tv. He didn't start crying at the replayed sounds of Nathan, so hopefully - we're over it! Like I said, it was happening at church that morning, so we'll chalk it up as an OFF day!

Looks like the Lake Front was a good day! Beautiful weather! Can't wait for the 18th! Take Two!

Audreee said...

I'm glad you are able to take on some projects while your little girl is away.
My husband put new tile in our kitchen about a year ago. Boy was it a task!
Do you ever watch DIY TV? They make it look a lot easier than it actually is.