Saturday, June 20, 2009

Now I Have Some Time

Okay, okay, I have a little time now. So instead of watching a re-run of SNL with Joe, I'll type a little bit. You're welcome.

I actually drove from New Berlin, Wisconsin, to Northville, Michigan with 2 small children, all by myself. And it was a success! I was expecting the worst, but we made it! I had the greatest idea ever, and checked out some new DVDs for Ella to watch. It kept her occupied almost the entire drive. I also would hand back a "surprise" every so often. I had a bad of goodies from The Dollar Store to keep her busy as well. Nathan didn't sleep very much, but he did entertain himself quite well, playing with the several toys I put in his lap...that is until he threw each and every one onto the floor. He also enjoyed just watching Ella. Man, that kid just gets a kick out of his big sister! Of course, both kids fell asleep 15 minutes before we arrived. Figures.

Our trip was wonderful! I was able to catch up on a little sleep, which is always amazing, thank you mom and dad! Kari, my friend from high school, and I went to this random bar, Karl's Cabin, and enjoyed some drinks and dueling pianos. It was a blast! Kari is coming to visit this August. I also got to see another high school friend, Cortney, and her cutie-pie 10 month old, Lorelei. I think Nathan has a crush on her. Hehe.
I also got to visit with my friend Christine and her hubby, Andy. The have an adorable 15 month old, Danny. I had never met Danny in person, and hadn't seen Christine in over 2 years. It was so nice to see them. We tried our hardest to get a picture, but it's almost impossible to get 3 kids to sit still and look at the camera. Oh well!
My dad and I took the kids to Maybury State Park. Ella loved seeing the baby animals and riding her bike through puddles. She did not, however, enjoy getting pecked on the finger by a rooster. Luckily, my dad caught it on tape, so we can re-live it in the future!
My aunts and uncles came over for a visit, as well as 3 of my cousins, Natalie (who is also my Goddaughter), Ben, and Matt.

It was a jam-packed visit like always, and, like always, it went by too fast. My dad drove back with us, to give me an extra hand, and then took the train back a few days later. He and Ella enjoyed some quality time together when I went to work. All in all, a very successful trip!

A few days after we returned from Michigan, I finally went to the doctor for the wrist pain I have been experiencing for over two months. He thinks it's early carpal tunnel. I'm not convinced that it is, but we'll see. He wrote me a prescription for...wait for it...occupational therapy! I have my initial evaluation this coming Wednesday. I was also given a prescription for naproxen sodium, or Aleve, which helps with pain and inflammation. It seems to be working. I'll get treatment for a month, and then see how I feel. I'm glad that I am finally doing something about it.

I had a new babysitter come over on Friday morning so I could go grocery shopping all by myself, and clean my house. I am finding it nearly impossible to keep my house clean with 2 children. Especially since they NEVER seem to nap at the same time. And if they do, do you think that I'll be cleaning? Nope. I'll be putting my feet up for a few blissful minutes of peace and quiet! The babysitter is from our church. She's a student at UW-Madison, my alma mater, and is home for the summer. Sweet!

On Friday evening, I met 2 of my co-workers downtown to board the Edelweiss, a boat that cruises the Milwaukee River and goes out onto Lake Michigan. There was an event through "Metro Parent" and "Milwaukeemoms.com," called, "Girl's Night Out." One of my co-workers had connections and got us on for free. So we enjoyed free drinks, appetizers, and desserts for 2 hours while enjoying the sights. I won a $50 gift certificate to some women's boutique. I have no idea what they sell, but I'm a bit scared to find out. I'll keep you posted. We weren't even sure if the boat was going to sail (or motor, rather) because of the torrential downpour we were experiencing. I mean, it was really coming down. In fact, as we drove home, we encountered several roads closed due to flooding. It was a mess! But, I must say, it was a treat to go out with the girls!

And finally, earlier today, we went over to Brian and Jenny's for a swim in their condo's pool. It actually felt like summer! Finally!
Last year, we got kicked out because Ella was too young and in diapers. Not this year! She was a swimmin' fool! And then passed out in the car on the way home.

We ended our lovely Saturday with dinner and a movie, part of Joe's Father's Day gift. We saw "Hangover." Definitely funny, but not as funny as people have talked about. We did have some good laughs though.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Father's Day. Happy Father's Day Dad! I love you!

1 comment:

Sunny said...

It was so nice to see you and the kiddos! I'm glad you came home and the trip was lovely for you too.