Friday, October 24, 2008

Epidural Headache

Since I had such an easy labor and delivery, with no painful complaints to follow, I am now suffering from a headache, caused by the epidural. They can come on 1 day to 1 week following having an epidural. Mine started about 5-6 days after my epidural, and has been going on now for 6-7 days. It feels like a mild migraine, but my migraine medicine doesn't work. Lovely. I called my OB, who told me to call the Anesthesiology Department at the hospital. A nice doctor called me back and spent some time talking with me about options. Basically, I can wait it out, sometimes taking 2-3 weeks and drinking caffeinated beverages, or go in for a procedure, called an epidural blood patch. This is where they take some blood from your arm and then "re-do" the epidural, but they inject the blood into the epidural space. It works 9/10 times, but causes low back pain. The headache is caused by a "leak" from the epidural catheter. So, I'm going to wait it out, avoiding getting another epidural. I guess I'll just be hopped up on caffeine for the next few days. Maybe it will help with my severe sleep deprevation.

My parents are back from their South Dakota vacation and are staying through the weekend. I actually got to sleep in a few extra hours this morning. It was amazing!!!

On to some friends and family news:
Our friends Paul and April welcomed their son, Jackson Adam, on Oct. 22nd. He weighed in at 7 pounds, 3 ounces, and was 19 inches long. Just a little peanut. We're going to introduce our boys next weekend. Ella will get to play with her cousins for the day while we travel to Appleton. My cousin, Kristen and her husband Brian, welcomed their daughter, Aubry, on Oct. 23rd. She weighed in at an impressive 9 pounds, 7 ounces, and was 22 inches long. Holy cow! Now I'm just waiting to hear the news from my friend Stacey. Let's see...is there anyone else expecting a baby in the next few weeks? I'm having a hard time keeping track!

I may create a new webpage at www.totspot.com, but I have to look into it a little bit more. I'll keep you posted. More pictures to come, I promise!

No comments: