Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Induced or Not to be Induced...That is the Question (written one year ago today)

Big day today. I went in the doctor for my 38 week appointment and got some shocking news! My platelet count had dropped from 91 last week to 88 this week. They did a STAT blood draw to see if my platelets had dropped even more, in which case, they were going to induce me TODAY! Holy cow! Fortunately, I just received a call from the nurse and was told that my platelets were up to 103. Phew! No baby today. However, I am scheduled to be induced this coming Sunday, Oct. 12th, at 8:30am to avoid any complications from the low platelets, or what is called, thrombocytopenia. Say that 5 times fast! Although, after walking 3 miles this past Saturday in the Alzheimer's walk in memory of Joe's grandma, I started having some mild contractions. They stopped though, and I haven't really had any since. I am 2, almost 3 centimeters dialated, the baby is low, and my cervix is "favorable." Too much information? Sorry! So I think I may have this baby before Sunday anyways. Our poor parents...we keep calling them with different news every day. My parents are about to jump in the car in order to make it in time! At this point, they will come sometime later this week. So here's my plan...I'm going to take a long walk this afternoon and see if we can get things moving. I don't really want to be induced...I've heard that it's not the easiest situation. I'll keep everyone informed as I know more information. When I do go to the hospital, my friend April will update for me. (Unless she's in the hospital having HER baby!)


I took this picture shortly after returning home from that doctor's appointment, just in case it was my last chance to take a belly pic. I hadn't heard yet if I was going to be induced that day.

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Oh no! I'm glad the platelets are up again. Hopefully Nathan will decide to come out on his own, I don't blame you for not wanting to be induced. My doc swears the contractions don't hurt more on pitocin, but I've heard otherwise and didn't want to find out firsthand. But then again, I'm a huge wimp. You'll be fine either way! You've made it to the 6th so you are in the clear for a nice long holiday with the fam -- now bring on the baby. :)

April said...

What a day! Most have been tugging on all your emotions yesterday. I can't imagine being told "We might induce you today!" Excuse Me?

If I had to bet money on it, I would for sure say that Nathan will come before Sunday. It sounds like you're in the right place (progress wise) to have this baby pretty soon. I suppose you're doing the only thing you can, keeping active so Nathan doesn't get too comfortable in there :). We're thinking about you guys!! Good luck, and we love you very much!