Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Hodge-podge

A hodge-podge is what this post is going to be. Hmmm...let's see...where shall I start? How about with my children's health.

Nathan got sick about 2 weeks ago with what seemed to be the common cold. He got better for a little bit, but then started getting high fevers on Saturday, the 24th. They came and went for a few days and then Nathan has a previously schedule 1-year check-up. At that appointment, it was discovered that he had an ear infection and was put on the antibiotic, Amoxicillin. He was on it for about 4 days and seemed to get better. Joe and I left on Friday for Chicago/Indiana (more on that later) and left the kiddos with my parents. When I called to check in on Saturday morning, the 31st, my mom told me that Nathan started getting fevers again, and this continued until Monday. I called the doctor and we had to go in again. Nathan's ears looked okay, so the doctor thought it had turned into a sinus infection. He prescribed another antibiotic called Augmentin, which is Amoxicillin with something else added to assist in killing the bacteria. No more fevers, but now Nathan has broken out in a rash. I called the doctor AGAIN this morning, and we have an appointment at 4:45 this afternoon. Oh, and I forgot the best part...Nathan tested positive for H1N1 as well! My poor baby. I can tell he's just so uncomfortable today. He's clingy, crabby, and nothing seems to make him happy. I finally resorted to rocking him with his blanket and his NUK, and he finally fell asleep in my arms. I can't remember the last time he did that. He's been sleeping for a while now, so hopefully when he wakes up, he'll be a new man! I ended up giving him some Benadryl in case the rash was causing some itching. Now it's Ella's turn...

Ella started getting high fevers the evening of Thursday, October 22nd. I kept her home from Preschool the next day, and she and Joe ended up having to miss our Godson's 1st birthday party. Nathan and I still went and had a great time (although that's when Nathan was starting to GET sick...) Anyways, the following Tuesday, the same day that Nathan had his 1 year check-up, Ella was not acting like her normal self. She started getting a fever again and was digging around in her ear. So I called the doctor (we're BFFs now, by the way) and we went in. We were at the doctor twice in one day, once for Nate and once for Ella. Turned out, Ella had a double ear infection and was started on antibiotics. I'm happy to say that Ella is now healthy and back to normal. Her new favorite phrase is, "You're not my friend anymore." Hand on hip and all! Now onto our weekend get-away...

Joe and I left for Chicago this past Friday afternoon. It took us almost 3 hours to get there. I HATE Chicago area traffic. It's always horrible! Our first stop was at Joe's friend Meghan and her husband Brian's condo. We had never seen their place so it was nice to finally get the tour. From there we went over to Katie and Dave's condo. Katie is one of my old roommates. They have an awesome cat named Kevin. I love it! We had a fabulous dinner at Big Jones and then headed over to Simons, a whole-in-the-wall dive bar. Joe's friend Jen and her boyfriend Brendan met us out, as well as another one of my old roommates, Niki and her boyfriend Pete. We had a great night catching up! The next morning, Joe and I left for Indiana for a wedding. My friend Kelly, from high school, married her long-time boyfriend Tom in a very interested ceremony. Tom's family is Serbian and they got married at a Serbian Orthodox Church. There was a lot of standing and a lot of singing/chanting by the priest. I had never been to something like that before. The church was beautiful. The reception was a lot of fun! I was able to finally meet my friend Jenn's two adorable boys and chat with her husband Matt. I also ran into some unexpected people from high school, which was a nice surprise. Joe and I dance, drank, and then had a full-night's rest. All in all, it was an awesome weekend, but it was sure nice to get home and hug my kids!

So, if you've made it this far, you can tell we've had a sick, busy, crazy, fun, and tiring past few weeks! Enjoy the pictures of the wedding and of Halloween!




3 comments:

Sunny said...

I'm so sorry the kiddos have been sick. :( Hopefully you've done your time for the season and you'll all be healthy from here on out.

My favorite part of the post: the cat named Kevin. I generally don't like cats (sorry Al) but for Kevin I will make an exception.

April said...

goodness gracious! How can you keep up with it all?!?

Audreee said...

I'm sorry about the sick kids. That is the pits. I'm glad ya'll had fun on your weekend away, though.