Thursday, July 30, 2009

Urgent Care

*Update*
I woke up this morning with a headache. Again. I also felt really nauseous and couldn't even think about eating anything. (No, I'm not pregnant.) I called my primary care doctor and was able to get in to see him this afternoon. He told me to keep taking my Imitrex for the migraine, but up the dose and add naproxen (Aleve) to it. I told him that this headache is a little different than my typical migraines, in that whenever I bend over, or turn my head quickly, or exert any force (like sneezing, for example) the pain is throbbing. So he decided to check out my sinuses and sure enough, one side looked inflamed and blocked. So, in addition to the Imitrex and naproxen, I will now be taking loratidine (Claratin) and Nasonex nasal spray. I already took the allergy/sinus meds, and I'm about to take the massive dose of Imitrex shortly, and I pray that this headache will finally, over 48 hours later, GO AWAY!

*Original Post*
I spent the better part of this afternoon in Urgent Care. After enduring a 24 hour migraine and then throwing up at work, I thought it best to leave work and to to Urgent Care. When I got there, it was discovered that I had a 100.5 degree temperature, which explained the chills I had been having all day. I was shaky, my fingers felt tingly, and I was light-headed. My blood pressure was fine. I was hooked up to an IV, which became very painful and infiltrated, meaning the vein was punctured and the fluid was going into surrounding tissues, causing the IV site to swell. So, the IV was switched to the other side...the same side where I had already gotten blood drawn. I received two bags of fluid to rehydrate me. I was given Toradol through the IV for my migraine pain, however the doctor did not believe it was a migraine, since my usual Imitrex did not help and since I had a fever. The Toradol ended up helping after about 45 minutes, but it did not take away the pain completely. They finally gave me an injection of Imitrex, which took away the last of my headache. The doctor believes I have a viral illness. I already feel 90% better. Nathan is sleeping and Joe took Ella to McDonald's to play on the playland so I could have some quiet time. I plan on going to bed early tonight. I have a babysitter scheduled to come over tomorrow morning for a few hours, so I can spend some time packing for our vacation. We leave for Shelby, Michigan on Saturday morning. We, along with my parents, rented a cottage on Lake Michigan for a week. I'll post pictures when we return. Time to go rest and drink plenty of fluids.

2 comments:

April said...

What the H? Could it have been related to what Nate and Ella had last week (and the week before)? When it is Joe's turn? :) Poor thing - that sounds horrible! My mom does the injections, except the imitrex was no longer working, so she was taking the advanced form (with the aleve or advil combined in it). Since those were outrageously expensive, she now does the imitrex injection, with just the aleve (or advil, I can't remember which)pill. That seems to work for her - you should try taking the pill in addition to the imitrex pill. ??

Good luck packing and I hope you all have a great vacation!! Take lots of photos!!

Sunny said...

Oh no!!! That sounds just awful. :( I'm glad you are feeling better. Migraines are the WORST. I had one the other day, I was home alone with Bean and could hardly put him to bed before rushing into the bathroom. Good that it happened BEFORE your trip, though, instead of during! Have a wonderful time and hi to your parents. :)