Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Visit From My Parents (and 24 Weeks)

This past weekend was quite eventful. My parents, "Gigi and Puppa" to Ella, came for a visit. They brought lots of books and toys for Ella, which added nicely to Ella's "playroom," which someday will be our 3-Seasons Room again. My mom and I did some shopping and found a new comforter, curtains, pillows, and lamp for Ella's room. In a few short months, Ella will be getting a "big girl" bed and needed some pretty things to go with it! We took my parents out to lunch at Mo's Irish Pub to celebrate their 35th anniversary, Joe's new job, and to thank them for sending my piano and my old bedroom set for Ella. The visit went by fast as usual, but Ella and I will be taking the high-speed ferry from Milwaukee to Muskegan in 3 weeks. We're very excited!
Well, there it is...my 24 week belly. This little guy is growing fast. He weighs a little over a pound and is about the length of an ear of corn. Why do books and website always compare my child to food? He's super active and I feel him moving around all day. We decided on a name...Nathan Gerald Dietrich. Joe and I both had agreed on Nathan when we were picking names the first time around, so we stuck with that, and Gerald is Joe's late grandfather's name. I picked a color for the nursery, with the help of my mom and my friends, and plan on tackling that job very soon. The bedding arrived, so things are coming along. I went to the doctor yesterday for my 24 week appointment. My weight and blood pressure were good, and the doctor was able to find the heart beat almost instantly. Sounded strong! My belly is measuring a bit small (really??), but I was reassured that this is normal for 24 weeks, and by 28 weeks, things should be right on track. If I still end up measuring small, or large for that matter, my doctor would schedule an ultrasound to check things out. I don't think it will come to that. In 3 weeks, I have to do the gestational diabetes screen, where you get to drink what can only be described as extra sugary, extra carbonated Orange Crush. Not good on an empty stomach. With Ella, everything turned out normal, so I'm expecting the same this time. (Fingers crossed.) After my next 4 week appointment, I will start going every 2 weeks. I can't believe it's getting to that point. I'll keep saying this, but this pregnancy is going by so fast.

Ella's vocabulary is growing every day. She repeats everything and is stringing 3 words together. It's so cute, especially when she says, "More please, mama." She is also starting to get a little more interested in the potty, and actually went on the potty 2 days in a row. Could be a fluke, or we could be starting a new adventure. I'm not going to worry too much about it at this point, especially with the new baby coming. That will be a big enough adjustment, I'm sure!

My 2 friends who are pregnant and due shortly after me, recently found out they are both having boys! There are 3 others, who shall remain nameless at this point, who do not know yet the gender of their babies...so I still have hope for sharing Ella's old clothes. I have so many cute outfits that I want to pass along.

Our friends Paul and April are one of the couples expecting a boy. Paul is Joe's best friend for over 25 years and Ella's Godfather. April is due 1 week after me, Paul and Joe were born 12 days apart. These little boys have no choice but to be friends, and I'm sure they will get into lots of trouble together! :)

1 comment:

April said...

Trouble for us!! You and I against 4 boys?? Ella should have her game ON by then, because we can't let our out numbered factor get the best of us :) Gitty Up!