Thursday, September 29, 2011

Migraine Update

I had my MRI a few weeks ago.  It was super fun...being in an enclosed space with jack-hammering sounds coming from every direction.  I survived.  Later that week I went in for my follow-up appointment with the nurse practitioner.  She had a preliminary report of the MRI, which showed very tiny white matter lesions on my left frontal lobe.  Sounds scary, right?  The lesions were so small, they were unmeasurable, and I'm told this is very common of migraineurs.  That's what they call us...migraineurs.  So I have brain lesions, whatev!  No seriously though, it's not a big deal, there's nothing that has to be done about it, my brain is fine.  Well, except for the migraines.  And the voices.  But I digress...

My medications remain the same, except for increasing the gabapentin to 600mg.  I was also given a sample of Treximet, which is just my normal Imitrex combined with Aleeve.  I tried it when I had a migraine last week, and it worked nicely.  To save on costs, the nurse practitioner said they can prescribe generic Imitrex (sumitriptan) and generic Aleeve (naproxin sodium.) 

I am supposed to call tomorrow, two weeks since I was last in the office, and then I go back in again in another 2 weeks.  I like the fact that I see or talk to someone every few weeks, rather than every 6 months, like it was with my previous neurologist.

A great site for migraine sufferers is http://www.mymigraineconnection.com/, which is where I found this article about MRIs and white matter lesions.



No comments: