Wednesday, August 19, 2009

39 Things Every Mom Should Know

I read an article in the latest "Parents" magazine, written by Kacy Faulconer, and I wanted to share some of the "39 Things Every Mom Should Know." She begins the article by saying, "...but here's something very specific to enjoy about your little kids: They don't know what you're actually up to."

* Don't beat yourself up if you have to use a bribe.

* Put Band-Aids on everything your kids want you to. Why not?

* Know this: That stain won't come out. And it's okay. (The sooner you accept this, the better.)

* Answer this question: What is the worst thing that can happen if your kids sleep in their clothes?

* Teach them to pump on the swings ASAP.

* Remember clogging lessons are not in the best interest of the child.


Good advice, isn't it? I thought it was so funny, but very true.



We had a visitor from last Thursday until Tuesday. One of my oldest friends, Kari, drove to Michigan to stay with us for a few days. We've been friends since middle school, which brings us back to around 1991 or so! That's a long time! It was really nice to catch up and spend some time together. We had the opportunity to go out on the town, just the two of us. We took a river boat cruise, ate dinner at an Irish Pub, had some drinks (or several), went to a "Spy bar", listened to dueling pianos, and had a night cap while sitting on a patio, overlooking the river. And that was just Friday and Saturday! The rest of the time, Kari watched me try and control my children. She helped Ella dress up like a princess and cracked up at Nathan's facial expressions. Many of my funniest memories are with Kari.



Meads Mill Middle School, 1992



Did you know that we live in a nature preserve? Not really, but look who also came to visit.

A momma deer and her two babies have been hanging around our yard, eating the crab apples (thank you deer!). I looked outside one afternoon and saw the two babies just sitting in the wood chips, under the trees. I'm pretty sure the momma is the same deer who enjoys my garden.
Speaking of my garden, I'm fairly certain I planted cucumbers, but instead of cucumbers growing, I have about 8 pumpkins growing. Worst garden ever.





2 comments:

Sunny said...

I was totally like, "Wow, Al lives on a nature preserve?!?!"

Way. Too. Gullible.

Love the deer and the pic of you an Kari. :)

April said...

LOL awesome garden!!
You got the signature working great! Good for you!!