Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year!

I can't believe it's 2010! It seems like just yesterday everyone was up-in-arms about "Y2K." And here we are, 10 years later. Joe and I both had to work New Year's Eve day, but we were able to celebrate with friends later in the evening. Our very good friends Paul and April, and Brian and Jen, joined us for dinner. I tried my hand at roasting a whole beef tenderloin, and surprisingly, it turned out quite well. It was medium rare and so juicy! I also made peppercorn sauce to go over top of it. I was a little nervous about cooking tenderloin, since it's a little expensive, and I didn't want to ruin it. I looked up several recipes, and they all said that tenderloin is supposed to be served rare, but I didn't think my guests would want it that bloody, so I went for a more medium rare, which after a second round in the oven, came out just that way. It was definitely a treat. April made some yummy appetizers and Jen (and Brian too!) brought some delicious desserts. After the kids went to bed, (Paul, April, and Jackson spent the night) we brought out some games. We had some good laughs playing "Mad Gab" and "Taboo." We watched the ball drop and rang in the new year together. It was a great night!


Ella received a "Lite-Brite" from Auntie April and Uncle Paul. It's the new "flat screen" version. Remember the old school Lite -Brites?




Now they look like this:
She also got a custom-made tutu, created by Auntie April, along with a tiara, wand, and bracelet. April decorated a hat box for Ella's outfit, with a big "E" on top. She is so creative and talented!
Nathan got a Leap Frog caterpillar that teaches letters, colors, sounds, and plays music. Gotta love the educational toys! Uncle Brian and Auntie Jen got Ella "Dancing Dora" which Ella was just thrilled about! Nathan got a pull-along container with Mega Blocks, as well as some cute outfits for later this year. My kids got spoiled! And they absolutely loved it!


Speaking of my kids, which is what this whole blog thing was supposed to be about...Nathan is walking! He still crawls about 50% of the time, but he's increasing his walking distances every day. He continues to say "Kitty" appropriately (like when our cats enter the room) and is imitating sounds and syllables. He waves consistently now, which is just too adorable! He goes to bed just wonderfully, and is sleeping through the night, most nights. Still, at almost 15 months old, he wakes up crying some nights and needs a little visit from mommy or daddy.

Ella is a handful. We are working very hard on listening, which is quite the challenge. She is a smart one though. She plays on the computer all by herself, controlling the mouse with ease. Just yesterday, Joe and I watched her as she clicked on all of the right letters to spell her name during a game. Joe and I just looked at each other in awe. She says the craziest things as well. Today in the car, Ella said, "When Nathan dies, can I have a baby sister?" Joe and I looked at each other and tried are best to quiet our laughter. We tried to explain the best we could. Then a few minutes later she said, "In lots and lots of years with Nathan die?" I told her yes, that everyone dies when they get old, in simple terms. She replied, "Then can I get a baby sister?" I gave up trying to explain it at that point!

I am now reading the 4th book in the "Twilight" series. I am hooked. The books are huge, and I can only get through one chapter a night, but they are addicting. I never thought I would like books about vampires, and I never wanted to get into the books because of all of the hype, but I finally gave in, and I'm glad I did!

Joe and I are going to continue our diet this year. Joe has lost nearly 40 pounds! I am really proud of him. Living with someone and seeing them everyday makes it hard to see the changes, but as I was looking through a photo album earlier today, it was very obvious! I have lost around 15 pounds, but it fluctuates. My goal would be to lose about 5 more pounds. The holidays were hard...eating more than usual, and eating foods not that good for you! Working out was also put on the back burner during visits and travels. But I'm confident that we will get back into the swing of things and keep our healthy habits going in 2010!

I took Ella to see her first movie in the theater! We went to see "The Princess and the Frog" on New Year's Day. (FYI: It's SUPER crowded on New Year's Day. Didn't know that.) Ella got a kiddie sized popcorn and drink, and once the previews started, she whispered, "I like my first time at the movie theater!" I probably looked goofy with the huge grin on my face. It really was a special adventure and I'm happy that I got to experience that with my daughter. As funny as it may seem, it was a bit of a milestone, I think.

And last but not least, I finally took a picture of the incredible gift that Joe got me for Christmas. A heart-shaped pendant with my birth stone, Garnet, with the children's birthstones hanging off the bottom of the heart. Ella's birthstone is Sapphire and Nathan's is Pink Tourmaline. I absolutely love it!


My big 30th birthday is less than 2 weeks away, so that means you have less than 2 weeks to go shopping. Gift cards are ALWAYS accepted here! :) Just teasing...


Happy New Year to everyone. I hope it brings joy and laughter, health and happiness.



No comments: