Monday, March 10, 2008

Ultrasound Day

I went to get my first ultrasound today, to confirm pregnancy and gestational age. We were able to see the heartbeat instantly! It was so neat! It's just as exciting and surreal as the first time. According to my calculations and the doctor's, I should be 7 weeks, 4 days along. According to the ultrasound and measurements, I'm 8 weeks, 1 day (+/- 5 days) which puts us right back to 7 weeks, 3 days. So, my dute date could still be October 24th or it could be October 19th. My next appointment is March 31st, so we'll see what the doctor decides. Who delivers on their due date anyways??? The baby is measuring 16 mm from "crown to rump." Love the term! To the right of the baby you can see a circle, which is the yolk sac. This gives the baby nutrients until the placenta is fully developed. During my last pregnancy, my blood platelet count was low, so I will be getting blood draws each appointment to check my levels. This first blood draw showed my platelet count at 137. The low end of normal is 150-300, so I'm still below normal, but asymptomatic, which means no worries at this point.


I'd like to take a moment to congratulate my good friend Christine and her husband Andy on the birth of their baby boy, Daniel James. He was born March 5th, tipping the scales at 9 pounds, 14 ounces! Holy cow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel special that I am making the first comment here. It is always very cool to see ultrasound pictures. Once you hear that heartbeat, you really can confirm life! It's so amazing. I think the second time around is so great because this time you have a clue what you can expect and are so much more anxious for everything.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Scott and I are so happy for you and Joe. Love the blog. Someday when we finally get around to having kids we may have to steal the idea.