Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Painful Subject

Literally...a painful subject. Nathan has the cutest two bottom teeth. It is just adorable to seem them poking through when he smiles! I am still breast feeding and would like to continue to do so for another 6 months if possible. However, with the newly emerged teeth, new problems have also emerged. Namely, biting! And he really CHOMPS down. And then turns his head to the side. And pulls. I have asked several friends about this situation and have posted on a few message boards. The answer seems to be unlatching Nathan and saying, "No biting." If that doesn't work, I've also read and heard that I should stop the feeding and put him down for a few minutes. The first time he bit me, I yelled out in pain. I looked down at Nathan, hoping that I hadn't freaked him out, and all I saw was him smiling up and me and laughing. Nathan, this is NOT funny!

I nursed Ella for 6 months. That was my goal, and I was ready to stop at 6 months. Mostly because I got the stomach flu and just didn't have the energy to breastfeed, so it seemed like the right time. Nathan turned 6 months on April 12th, but this time, I don't feel ready to stop. I enjoy our time together and it makes me sad to think about stopping at this time. So, until further notice, the breastfeeding will continue. Plus, the highlight of my day at work is pumping near the morgue.

Nathan is 6 months old, and without sounding too cliche, it has gone by so fast. Half of a year. Nate will be a 1 year old in another 6 months. It's really unbelievable how much he has changed. He rolls tummy to back and reverse, is starting to sit unsupported (but tips over quickly), and is trying new foods. The little guy tried avocado for the first time tonight and seemed to like it. I am still making baby food for Nathan and blended up some bananas, pears, apples, and avocado this afternoon. While I was steaming the pears, I accidentally waited too long and ended up burning the bottom of the pot. The whole house smelled like a camp fire and I completely ruined the pot. We had to just throw it away. The house still smells. Here is a video of Nathan trying a "Baby Mum Mum." It's basically a rice wafer from the health food store. He did pretty well!

I took Nathan to the pediatrician this morning for his 6 month well-baby check-up. His stats are as follows:

Weight: 17.1 lbs. (50th percentile)

Height: 27 1/8 in. (75th percentile)
Head Circumference: 45 cm (80th percentile)

I was actually a little surprised that his weight was only in the 50th percentile. I guess I'm used to Ella's 100th percentile numbers! Nate had to get two shots, one in each thigh, and an oral vaccine. He did great! He did cry when the needle first went in, but he stopped as soon as I picked him up and started smiling. What a trooper!

Joe and I have had 3 days with just 1 kid, and boy, it was a piece of cake! Don't get me wrong, I DO remember having just 1 child, and it WAS hard. But, adding a second child changes everything and it's so much more than just twice as hard. But I digress...Ella stayed up at Joe's parents after Easter with my sister-in-law Liz and her two boys, Dylan and Henry. They had a blast! They had activities planned, made trips to the library and fun park, and had a sleepover in a "tent" in the living room. It was like summer camp! Ella has so much fun with her cousins and I'm really glad they have such a good relationship. Growing up, I was very close with my cousins and always hoped that my children would have similar relationships.





We spent Easter in Stevens Point with Joe's family. It was nice to spend some time with with my sisters-in-law, brother-in-law, and my nephews, especially my newest nephew Harry. He has changed so much in the past 2 months and is such a cutie. We had some very nice conversations! Harry mostly just looked at me and cooed. On Easter Sunday, we all went to church. I was a little nervous since we usually drop Ella and Nathan in the nursery at our church. Ella just isn't used to having to be quiet and still for over an hour. But, luckily, all the kids behaved very well. I nearly choked on the incense and got Holy water in my eye. When you go to a Catholic church, and you're not Catholic, it's always an interesting experience. I felt silly sitting by myself in the pew when everyone else went up for Communion. My nephew Dylan asked, "Aunt Allie, why didn't you go up to get a piece?" I hoped he was talking about a piece of bread. I wasn't sure how to answer that question. I suppose I could have said, "Well Dylan, I was more or less brought up Lutheran, became Presbyterian when Uncle Joe and I couldn't agree on a denomination, and then switched to Methodist after we moved and couldn't find a Presbyterian church we liked in our area." Instead I said, "I'll tell you later." I never did. I think he forgot.

I am currently reading, "Down Came the Rain" by Brooke Shields. The book is about her struggle with post-partum depression. It is so sad. First of all, she and her husband had to deal with infertility, which I've learned a lot about from friends, and I'm convinced it is one of the most difficult and heart-breaking conditions. So after she has her daughter, a baby she has been waiting for, for a long time, she feels hopelessly sad and unfit as a mother. Reading this book is hard, probably would be for any mother. I have dealt with depression in the past, and post-partum depression was a real fear for me. Luckily, with both children, I did not experience post-partum depression. Sure, some days I felt tearful and frustrated, but those feelings passed, usually within 24 hours. It is just amazing to me how hormones can affect a person. I guess my point is that I feel incredibly lucky to have two healthy children. I just look at them and feel my heart swell. I know, cheesy, but I can't think of a better way to describe it.

During our few days without Ella, Joe and I called a babysitter at the last minute to watch Nate while we went to see a movie. I don't even remember the last time I saw a movie in a theater. It was wonderful! We saw, "I Love You, Man." It was hilarious! The popcorn was good too.

Today brought a glimpse of Spring and it was exciting! Being able to get outside with the kids is great. Joe and I took a walk with the kids this afternoon. It was the first time we had both kids in the double jogging stroller, and it was HARD! It's a good upper body workout, that's for sure.

Here are a few pictures from Easter











1 comment:

Audreee said...

Cute Easter pics.
I hope the booby biting is just a phase!